Thursday, September 27, 2012

Whiskeytown Lake


Last night I found a little pullout at Whiskeytown lake.  I was on the back side of the lake, just as it was getting dark,  and found a semi flat spot that I decided to call my home for the night. Very few cars went by during the night,  and there was no knock on the door.    







I woke up this morning with a great view of the woods and lake.  I took my time and got ready and to head out of the park.  Well,  I didn’t make it very far.  About a mile there was a parking area with a great view and no one there,  I backed up the camper to have the best view, opened the door and all the windows and decided to get some work done.  I was there for a few hours till it started getting pretty warm.  When I got back in the truck it was already up to 90 degrees!  Last night at Costco in Redding it was 96.  I had not been that warm for a while (since Texas), so it was time to get out of there and head towards the redwoods and the coast.


Word of warning time…  Garmin…  a great tool, but check to see what route it is taking you on before you head down that path…  The road in twisted and was narrow, but it was paved.  I have the settings on Garmin to avoid unpaved roads, (I know I’ve been a bunch of them… and will be on many more),  but I did not quite expect or plan this one…  it said 10 miles back to the main highway… so off I go (I should have gone back the way I came in…) the roads about the same, then all of a sudden,  one lane (2 direction) very rough dirt road, with no place to turn around….  The scenery was good,  but what a dusty mess.  I could only go about 10 mph.   It took me over an hour.  The truck and camper were already dirty from all the volcanic ash, and bugs,  and now it had a good coating of red dirt too.  The camper was shaken and my stuff thrown all over the inside…  But we (truck, camper and I) made it no worse for wear.  Good thing I wasn’t in a hurry to be anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment