Thursday, August 29, 2013

2013 Travels


I know it has been a long time since I posted, and I will try to do better for the rest of this year.  I have already started my travels this year, I will be updating the website with pictures as time and internet connections allow.    I have been working on my book for My Travels: Western US and Canada; the trip I took last year.  A draft copy has been created, and direction is to be published by the end of the year.  Please stay tuned for more details.
 
Now to the travels for 2013....
 
The first leg of the trip was from April 8 30th,   I was able to go to  some of the parks in the west that I was not able to hit last year... and will hit the newly designated Pinnacles National Park that was not a park when I did the 8 parks in California, last year.  My trip took me through Carlsbad Caverns and Guadalupe Mountains Parks first, then on to Tucson for Saguaro, then I took Pacific Coast Highway 1 (PCH) from San Diego to the Olympic Mountains in Washington State.  This trip was a little different for me because I did the whole thing in a small Toyota MR2 convertible,  and stayed in hotels (rather than camping) the whole way.  It was kind of like backpacking by a very small car.  I had always wanted to drive PCH in a little sportscar/convertible, and this was my chance.  It was a blast!
 
For the second leg,  it was back to Texas to start the trip like I did last year.  My son and I drove from Texas to the San Juan Islands in Washington State and was from May 21-31st .   We took a different route this time.  First we stopped by Meteor Crater (AZ) , and stood on the corner in Winslow Arizona (it was such a fine site to see!).  Then on to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, on to Zion to hike The Narrows and the trail to Observation Point (looking down towards Angels Landing).   Headed to Great Basin NP (NV),  a Giants Game in SF,  Muir woods,  then on to Hendry winery (to get Trey to appreciate good wine),  on up to Crater Lake (which we unfortunately could not see due to clouds),  then on up to the Islands.  It was another great trip and hope to get to travel with my daughter up there next year.
 
I spent the summer on San Juan island, and now it off for the next part of my trip.  The journey for this year is the whole circumference of the United States.  From Texas to California to Washington to Maine to Florida, and then back to Texas, and hitting about 25 National parks along the way.  It will be interesting to see what the road brings me this year! 
 
Some quotes to start the trip:
 
“The mountains are calling…so I must go” John Muir
 
“You're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting,
So... get on your way!”
  -- Dr. Seuss
 
“The Journey is what brings us happiness… not the destination”  -- The Peaceful Warrior
 
 
Thanks for coming along my journey with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment